Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Birth story

So I started having contractions about 7pm on Saturday the 11th , they were 10 min apart. They started to become kinda painful but we went over to a friend’s house and watched a movie. I just tolerated the uncomfortable pain. So we finally went home the contractions were still 10 min apart but definitely stronger. So I slept on and off till about 4am and finally woke TJ up about 5am b/c I was in enough pain that I thought something was wrong (first time mom for you). So we got to the hospital where I expected to be monitored but sent home. I was a little over 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced (weird b/c the dr said I was 70% on that Tuesday). They had me walk for about an hour and then they checked me again and I was 3cm. So about 10 am they gave me some meds to help me sleep and just as I was drifting off….I felt a pop and gush of fluid. I had TJ go get the nurse and sure enough my water had broken! So I slept for a couple hours before they checked me and I was still 3cm but fully effaced!!!! So they had me walk some more and just labor though. My contractions were about 2 to 3 min apart and VERY painful! I made it back to my room and they gave me some pain meds but the nurse didn’t check me like I thought she should. The pain meds did nothing but let me sleep between contractions. Finally TJ said to the nurse “her contractions are really strong can you check her so she can get the epidural” She didn’t think I would have progressed but she checked me and I was 8cm!!!! haha She was beyond shocked and got the anesthesiologist with in like 3 min. The epidural I was expecting to be really bad, but I didn’t even feel it. And as soon as it was over I felt sooooo good! I told the anesthesiologist she was my new favorite person. So the dr came in at like 5pm right after I got the epidural and talked to me about what was to happen when I did feel pressure. So he said he would come back in about an hour and a half. I decided I needed another nap till then. So I went to sleep. He came in at 6:30pm to check me and he went to check me and said “Well I think we are ready to go…” The dr showed TJ she was already crowning! So they got everything ready and I pushed through 2 contractions and they had to get the dr quick! Haha I pushed though another one and out came the head. Then my contractions (which I could not feel at all) did the rest of the work. And at 6:58pm I looked down and saw the dr pull a little person out!!!!!

The nurses kept asking “Are you sure this is your first?” She said I basically labored like it was my second or third. So that was cool! My only regret is that I didn’t ask the nurse to check me earlier b/c I went through a lot of pain that was not needed!

The Dr said next time I could go natural b/c I went through the worse part without an epidural…so that made me feel good. B/c I thought I was a wimp. But I still plan to get one next time haha

1 comment:

Burrtotheitknee said...

That is crazy! I always was interested in what giving birth is like. Seems like a pretty scary thing.