Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Santa...

After reading a blog by a friend, I remembered what Tommi told me the other day and it cracked me up.

First off, we have been having the debate in our house on what to do with santa. Well not a debate just discussing the decision on how to handle him. TJ has always felt it was a lie to tell her santa brings her gifts, where I was not totally sure b/c I thought santa was a fun idea. But as I have thought about it I realized I want to emphasize Jesus' birthday more and take all the credit for the presents. So santa in our house is kinda just a guy who is around at Christmas but totally on the back burner until Tommi has more questions later of how he ties into it all. But I am not explaining anything till she ask about him. But somewhere she did hear that santa brings kids presents and comes to your house on Christmas. Well Tommi told me "Mommy I do not want santa coming to my house...I don't like him!" I told her he is not coming so she has nothing to worry about.

So I have been telling her Christmas is to celebrate Jesus' birthday, family, and the fun decorations. She LOVES decorations....but I'll talk about that in a minute. I'm not totally sure how to explain why we give presents other than that Jesus wants us to give presents to those we love as his birthday present. Tommi didn't ask for more explanation so I was happy about that...b/c that is a strange concept for a 2.5 year old.

When I first told Tommi Christmas is Jesus' birthday and she got teary eyed. I asked her what was wrong and she said "We need to go to heaven and make him a cake...but how do we get there?" My first thought...WOW I have an amazing little girl who loves making others happy and of course loves any reason for cake. I am proud. But I found out while talking to her she was totally serious and wanted an answer. So I told her one day we will have a big birthday party and make him a cake in heaven but until then we are gonna stay here and make him a cake and we will enjoy it as a family and just sing to him. Another bullet dodged...it is tough having a 2 year old who is full of questions and expects a "real" answer. But in the same moment I LOVE it!

So on to decorations...this will be TJ and I's 6th Christmas as a married couple. Well we have never had a tree b/c #1 I didn't feel it was needed and #2 we have not had the space. Well this year I really wanted to have one b/c Tommi is old enough to notice and I think it is a fun tradition, so in a nesting mode we figured out a way to move things around so we have room for a small tree(well 6ft but slim). Well I had NO idea what was to come...Tommi got SO excited and thanks us daily for her tree and ornaments. I did not expect that one...I knew she would notice but not to the point she has, it is almost magical. So setting up our tree and putting ornaments on it was a family event and SO much fun! My lost love for Christmas was totally found when I watched her eyes light up as we set it all up. Then came the Christmas lights...we never talked about them then when others around us put them up we would put them out to her...ANOTHER magical moment! She lit up!!! Tommi loves admiring all the lights every time we drive at night! I just have to say Christmas has a WHOLE new meaning for me. The simple joy of a child is SO amazing!!!

I'm not a big Christmas person...I always thought it was kinda annoying how you are expected to give gifts when you have no idea what to get someone so you just buy to buy. Now I'm really putting a bit more effort into it and less worried about spending the right amount of money on everyone. If I give what I know they will enjoy or need and feel happy about it then it is just right. Some people are still hard to shop for but I am starting to worry less and just let it all work itself out.

Christmas is gonna be SO much fun this year b/c Tommi is really starting to understand and get excited about it!

One last funny Tommi moment...we were in the car with my mom and my mom was telling Tommi how we are going to her house at Christmas and she will have lots of presents to open. Tommi asked what was in the present and mom said toys so she will have to wait and see what they are. Tommi got super disappointed and said "But I wanted books!" hahahaha Seriously!?!? What 2 year old gets disappointed about toys b/c she wanted books. But that is all she tells me that she wants for Christmas....books and a dollhouse. I love it!

Tommi and her tree...excuse the cup, she would not put it down but wanted a picture taken of her and the tree :)

No comments: